This will be my last post as a Mom of one!  Not that I’ve posted all that much during my pregnancy but still.  I went to my 39 week appointment yesterday morning.  Everything was business as usual and I left feeling GREAT.  Happy that I was going to meet my baby in seven days.  And excited about my plans for a dinner out with friends.  Somewhere in between walking out of that medical building in the morning and driving home from dinner last night, something changed.  Something that had absolutely nothing to do with my uterus.  When I got home last night at 10:00 PM I found a note from Scott saying my doctor had left a message on our home phone that I would be having my baby on Friday.  This Friday.  Two days and 9 hours from that moment. Not seven days like I had thought.  Three days earlier than my Mom is scheduled to fly in to help with Addison.

So, I stayed up all night, quite literally, wondering what in the world I was going to do with Addie while I was in the hospital and trying to wrap my mind around having this baby in two days.  I thought I had a week left with Addie as an only child.  I had plans to do all of our favorite things one last time while it was still just the two of us.  I had a lot to cram into those seven days.  Not the least of which was a boatload of housework.  I have this idea in my head that Addie’s life as she knows it will be over once she has a sibling.  I realize this is all in my head.  We’ll still do everything we’ve always done, there will just be more of us.  I hope that means that much more fun.

I realize that not everyone gets a heads up about when they’re going to have their baby.  We are very lucky in this respect.  It’s a great surprise when it’s just you and your partner anticipating the birth of your first child.  All you have to worry about is packing a bag and getting to the hospital on time.  With baby #2 (and beyond) it’s incredibly stressful.  Wondering if you’re going to have to drag your sleeping child from their bed in the middle of the night.  Sheepishly asking friends if they could be the unlucky ones you call on at 3 AM to take the older sibling.

Now, not 24 hours later, Addie-care is completely covered for the weekend. We have some wonderful friends who have stepped up to help to make sure Addie is occupied while I’m in the hospital.  So, while I’m still anxious about having surgery on Friday, I am not anxious about what Addie will be doing because I know she’s in good hands.